Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Can she make a Cherry Pie?

We went to Cherry Hill Orchard and picked our own sour pie cherries.  My baby just sat under the tree eating cherries and dirt for most of the time.  My niece, nephew and two boys were quite productive, however, and we left with 11 pounds of cherries.









Next came the task of cleaning and pitting all the cherries!  The kids actually enjoyed squeezing the pits out of each cherry - it was quite entertaining.  


And finally - making a pie!  I have never made a cherry pie before.  This was my first time and with the kids no less!  I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing.  First I searched the Internet for recipes.  Yes, I found quite an extensive collection.  There were some really tempting ones (especially on Pioneer Woman Cooks - which looks so good I'm going to have to try it sometime when I have lots of people over so I don't devour the whole pan myself) but since I am trying to lose weight I just decided to go with Taste of Home (tried and true - never made a recipe from here I didn't like).  YUM!  We added fresh strawberries and blueberries and called it a Cherry Berry Pie. 




I also lined baking sheets with parchment paper and froze a few pounds for future recipes.  And the final result dished out and served for lunch (yes we had pie and ice cream for lunch) with our homemade peach frozen yogurt!  Double Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...