Friday, October 5, 2012

Feature a Friend {on Friday}

 Welcome to Feature a Friend {on Friday}!  I have a friend to post today :)  Cathy from What's Up With Cathy blog has a great post about organizing photos!

First since we are on the topic of organization I just purchased some new organizers from Close To My Heart for my crafting room and love love love them!

At $12.95 for the small organizer the price is right too!  So check out all their organizational supplies and because I'm in a giving mood - leave a comment telling me which is your favorite organizer from Close To My Heart and I'll draw a winner next Friday for a set of 3 mini craft boxes.




Now for some organizing tips from Cathy!  If you are like me and can always use some organizational tips read on to see how Cathy organizes her photos . ..

I am super excited to be Guest Blogging here @ Broken Treasures.  This is my first ever guest blogging opportunity so an extra special thank you to Elizabeth for having me! and also apologies for the delay in getting this post in... my Dad died very suddenly in August and suddenly my life took on a totally different outlook... blogging and scrapping took a bit of a back seat.

I guess first up you need to know a little about me... I am from sunny South Africa and am wife to Keith and mother to Aaron.  I have been scrapping since 2003 when I was reluctantly introduced to this hobby by my best friend.  I say reluctantly as I really didn't want to do 12x12" scrapping and getting all the "stuff"... and now of all my friends, I think I'm the biggest addict!!! hehehe.  I simply love scrapping... it is the one hobby that I have stuck with the longest.  I find it super fulfilling and I enjoy being creative each and every week.

Most of my friends and blog readers are always astounded at how I manage to scrap so often.  Well for me the recipe is being organised.  Not so much with my scrap-stash but rather in the "how" I scrap.... so I thought I'd let you in on a few of my pre-planning secrets.

My first start is organising my photos when I download them off my camera.... I've organised it by year and then by month... I save my photos by date order so I can always find what I did on which day.



When I decide to scrap there are two ways that I work.... either I start with a sketch and pick photos to fit, or I decide which photos I want to scrap and then I will pick the sketch.  I then resize the photos for the sketch requirements, get them printed and am ready to scrap.

So this is most of my planning in a nutshel.... but actually it's not the only way I plan.  For me it started way back when I started my blog and want to load my layout... I needed to scan then and wanted to record my pages. As I scrap photos that appeal to me but file them chronologically, I needed a system to keep track of where I am in each album.  So I started my organsing system that I now use everyday.  This operates as follows:

In a word document I created a table of six columns wide by a variety of rows long.  I then look through my photos and semi-plan if I want to scrap a single or double page for the photos.  I fill these into the table and at a later stage will choose the sketch.


Once I've scrapped the page I will replace the sketch with the actually layout.  This way i keep track of the number of pages I want to scrap per year and also I can see what I have/haven't scrapped.


Yikes this all reads like a bunch of waffle.... hope you can make sense of it and somewhere along the way it might help you with your scrapping too.  At least in my way this plan helps me remain ahead of the game.

To see more and more results of my scrapping, you can check out my blog at http://whatsupwithcathy.blogspot.com
 
Thanks so much Cathy!  Do you have an organizational tip to share?  Leave a comment letting me know how you organize your crafting supplies for an extra entry :)
 
Do you scrapbook and blog about it?  How about make cards or other paper crafts?  Are you great at taking photos and what to share a tip with my readers?  Please contact me (e-mail listed below) to reserve your Feature a Friend spot.  Happy Friday!
 
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Mindemann alwaysdeeper@hotmail.com www.ejoym.blogspot.com
.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for allowing me to be a guest blogger... it's a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have you Cathy! Thanks for being willing and for a great post!

      Delete
  2. Love the tips Cathy! So cool to see how we are all connected in this wonderful scrappy world! Elizabeth, it's so wonderful that you have a guest blogger and I've just bought 2 medium organizers and 4 small organizers! lovin' them!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...