I'm so in love with my Cricut machine! Especially since I have both CTMH cartridges - I use it all the time! I recently discovered the FREE Cricut Craft room and was thrilled with all the projects I could create! Then Close To My Heart shared a great article on how to use their cartridges and the craft room together to make some beautiful projects . . .
If you love your Cricut® machine, then you are going to adore all of the fabulous things you can do with Close To My Heart Cricut®cartridges in the Cricut® Craft Room. Create layers, cut negative space in the shape of your choice, make borders, and link elements together for a connected look. It’s easy! We’ll show you how.
Here is how to get started with Cricut® Craft Room:
- Create a FREE account in a few easy steps.
- Download and run the application for PC or MAC, depending on the type of computer you use.
- Connect your Cricut® machine to your computer using a Type B USB cable. (Note: For more info on this type of cable, see your Cricut® user’s guide or your local electronics store.) Once you have connected your computer to your Cricut® machine, the “Load Mat” button is the only button you will ever need to push on your machine in the entire process. Cricut® Craft Room will do everything else for you.
- Once inside the application, choose the type of Cricut® machine you own.
- Insert your Close To My Heart Art Philosophy or Artiste cartridge into your Cricut® machine.
- In the lower left portion of the application there is a tab that is labeled “Images/Cartridges.” Select “All Cartridges” from the dropdown menu. (Note: You must choose a cartridge that you own. You can also purchase individual images from the Cricut®store.)
- Scroll to find the Close To My Heart Art Philosophy or Close To My Heart Artiste cartridges you own.
- The virtual mat in Cricut® Craft Room is just like the mat you’ll load into your machine. And, it is oriented the same way that you will load your mat into the machine, with the arrow at the top.
- To drag an image to the mat, simply click on the image in the image selection tool box and move it to the mat.
- Once the image is on the virtual mat, you can adjust the placement by clicking on the image and moving it to any location on the mat.
- Now that you know the basics, you can start creating and exploring the possibilities!
Follow these steps to create the negative space on a card base, like you see on this Cheer Up card, featuring images from the Art Philosophy cartridge:
- Select the “Card” tab in the Art Philosophy images. Find the card base you prefer and drag it onto the mat. (We used Square 1 for the Cheer Up card.) The image will be cut in the exact direction and location that you place it on the virtual mat. At the top of the screen, or at the left under the “Shape Properties” tab, you’ll see size boxes. Enter the width and height for your shape. This is the size it will be cut on the machine, regardless of what size your machine indicates on the flip screen.
- Choose an image to cut out of your card front. We have chosen a butterfly by going to the Basics tab, clicking the “Show Shift/Lock Images” at the bottom, and then selecting the butterfly. Drag the image to the right side of the card base, position it, and alter the size, as desired. Once the image is in place, you will see a cut-out image in its place. This Weld feature is automatically on unless you disable it, and allows you to see how the card base will look with your images cut out.
- Select another image, drag it to the card base, and position it how you’d like it. Continue adding images to the card base, if desired.
- To cut your finished artwork, load the mat into your Cricut®machine and insert the corresponding cartridge. Next, press the green Cut button at the top of the computer screen and follow the prompts. The machine will cut the shapes as you have prepared them in Craft Room. If more than one cartridge shape has been added to the project, the machine and screen will prompt you with instructions.
Here are so more artwork examples that have been made using Cricut® Craft Room software. Follow the instructions below to learn some more fun tricks we used in creating this artwork.
Come back tomorrow for another great project using Close To My Heart cricut cartridges and cricut craft room :)
**article courtesy of Close To My Heart**